- Google may keep on bringing changes in its algorithm, but there are certain On-page optimisation methods that always prove prolific for your website rankings. Here is a list of some of the most important on-page search engine optimisation techniques to increase the ranking, relevance and credibility of your website:
1.Page Title Tag
Page title tag creates the first impression of your website, not just upon your web visitors, but also upon the search engines. It is the text having higher chances of being clicked by your targeted audience. If your title tag is not appealing, it won’t get much attention of audience. Here are few things to be considered for title tag optimisation:
- content goes here.
- It should be short not lengthy. There are no hard and fast rules, but generally title tag should be within 70 characters.
- It should be simple not complex.
- It should be compelling enough to pull the attention of web visitors.
- It should include the keyword(s) for which you are trying to rank for, in informative way.
- One should preferably include name of organisation or a brand name in the title tag in an appealing manner.
Title tag should be precise, simple, unique, and keyword oriented.
2.Meta Description Tags
Meta Description Tags are highlighted in relevant search results. These tags allow you to describe what you could not describe in title due to limited number of characters to be used in it. If your Meta description tags states what your business offer or what makes you competitive in providing the searched services, it will increase the chances of your site being clicked.
- It should contain your targeted keywords or synonyms with a summary about the page or your services offered on the page.
- It should be precise, usually within 150 characters.
- It should be unique and not duplicate.
Meta Description Tags should be simple, unique, keyword oriented, informative, and focused on business offerings and business competitiveness.
Heading means something sharing the gist of content. Heading Tags help visitors and search engines to decipher what your website content is all about. Good headings improve user’s experience.
- Each web page should have H1 tag and make sure it has only one H 1 tag indicating the main topic of the web page.
- It should be unique and preferably contain targeted keywords towards the beginning of the content.
- One should make sure that content of title tag and H1 tag is not same.
- Use headings in a way so that it can make a flow of your information, step wise.
- Headings should be used in complete hierarchy based on the content flow.
- Title tag should intervolve around heading tag, but don’t overdo it by adding keywords to sub headings such as H2, H3 and H4.
Each webpage should have appealing and unique heading (H1) tag containing main keywords if possible to indicate the main topic of the web page. And heading tags should be used in the proper hierarchy based on the content flow.
4.Web Page Content/Text
Most SEOs have learned it by heart that content is the King in SEO. However, there are certain things to be considered to enhance user’s experience and search engine rankings by means of effective content. And practically we need to think how much important the content is before making any purchase etc. So, there should be precise information about the services, offerings.
- Content should be engaging, informative and keyword oriented. Using synonyms in content is one of the best practice. You can easily.
- It should be unique and plagiarism free.
- It is advisable to use latent semantic indexing keywords for analyzing the relevancy of your On-page content.
- You can check the content with CopyScape to make sure if it is not copied.
Content should be unique, engaging, informative, keyword oriented, synonyms used and plagiarism free.
5. URLs Optimisation
URL describes about your business web page as well as possible information on it or the subject of the page, also it helps users to remember the URLs so they can come back to the same one directly. It is important to create SEO friendly URLs containing real words instead of special characters to make them readable and easy to remember by users.
- URL should be clean, precise and informative.
- There should be keywords placed in URLs, preferably in the beginning. But make sure the information related keywords should be used. Don’t try to stuff it unusually.
- URLs with hyphens are preferred over URL with underscores.
- If it is not possible to use keywords, it should contain the words best describing the business page offerings or subject of the page.
One should focus on creating clean, precise, user friendly, subject related and search engine friendly URLs.
6. Image Optimisation
It is better to use at least one image in your website content. Images make your content as well as website more enticing. Image optimisation for SEO helps in getting traffic from image search. Image have variuos tags to be optimised and can help you in ways like: Image Title Tags, Image Alt attribute, and you can also use caption.
- There should be alt text for all images on the site, alt tag can be of 70-100 characters long. So, describe your image in better way as much as you can.
- Alt text should contain all about the image, you need to describe the image in it. So, don’t stuff it with keywords.
- Image files should preferably contain keywords or synonyms or should be named accordingly.
- It is good practice to consider lite images to maintain the loading speed of the website.
It is recommended to enhance the appeal and search engine friendliness of a website through image optimisation without distorting loading speed of the website.
7. Keyword Density
It is considered as the best SEO practice to maintain keyword consistency among various on -page SEO elements of a website such as title, description, heading, content, URL and image alt attribute.
It is prudent practice to keep keyword consistency up to 2 percent and also one should not let the keyword stuffing to distort the appeal and usability of the content. And always try to write good information instead of focusing more on keywords to stuff it.
8. Internal Links
One must check internal linking architecture to ensure flow of link juice through every internal website page. Such internal linking architecture enables easy crawling and indexing of all web pages on your site. It is highly popular practice to link new pages with other popular pages on the site using words such as ‘read more’, so you can use target keywords in your anchor texts. Try to think from the users perspective and how you can link the internal information with your pages. Its best example is Wikipedia.
It is prudent but not enough to increase number of internal links and exact match anchor text. One should also focus making internal links usable and valuable for website visitors.
Sitemap is a map of a website that tells about the location of all internal links as well as priority of different web pages on the site. It is consist of URL pages that help search engines to find page instantly and crawl quickly.
- It is essential to have an XML sitemap for your website
- One should submit sitemap to Google webmaster tools.
- It is good practice to specify sitemap location robots.txt file, which is the first file to be crawled by search engines
- It is recommended to have one HTML sitemap for visitors as well.
It is recommended to have an XML sitemap for your website and submit it to Google webmaster tools.
Robots.txt is a text file created by webmasters to instruct search engine robots on how to crawl and index pages over a website. It has information for search engines to guide them for efficient crawling and indexing the site. One should avoid unwanted pages from being indexed by search engines by specifying them on site’s robots.txt file.
It is suggested to check robots.txt file for any incorrect blocked pages and blocked search bots.
11. Page Loading Speed
Websites with faster page loading speed are much preferred by web visitors over slow loading sites. Fast loading sites are considered user friendly by web visitors and search engine friendly by search engines.
- It is prudent practice to make sure that your website should upload within four seconds.
- In order to enhance the page speed, you should take appropriate actions like eliminating code-bloat, optimising image sizes, optimising caching etc.
- You can check your website with Google Page Speed tool. And work on suggestions there.
One should take all necessary steps to enhance the loading rate of the website and make sure it is uploaded within four seconds.
12. Internal Page Links
Web pages earn credibility through links. An internal link is one that connects two web pages of a same website. Although, search engines have removed any limit on in-page links on a web page, it has been observed that when there is less number of links on a page, it will result in more concentrated link juice.
- It is usually recommended to keep your webpage links under 100 to 200.
- It is also recommended to use the target keyword of the page you’re linking to in the anchor text for creating descriptive text within links.
- When you are creating links to a particular page from several pages, it is prudent to use some variety in it.
It is prudent to strike the right balance between internal links created for website visitors and internal links created for search engines.
13. Page Indexing
When all or any of the web pages of your site is not indexed, it may display errors in your internal linking architecture. It is highly recommended to make sure all your website pages are indexed. If there are any problems in indexing reported on Google Webmaster tools, it must be corrected immediately.
It is essential that all of your web pages are appropriately indexed. One must learn about site errors and URL errors mentioned in Google’s Webmaster Tools Help to take appropriate actions to overcome page indexing errors.
Each website has some amount of text and backend codes in the front end. The ratio between amount of text and backend codes on a website refers to Text/ HTML ratio. Search engines give paramount importance to user friendliness of a website.
- It is one of the popular SEO practice to increase the text to HTML ratio for increasing website rankings.
- It also helps in increasing page load speed, because it eliminates all sorts of unwanted codes.
It is recommended to take appropriate actions to optimise your page’s text to HTML ratio and enhance user’s experience.
15. Use of Images and Videos
Multimedia can be used on a website in form of images and videos to enhance the appeal and usability of your website. Websites with higher numbers of images are inviting for website visitors. However, many times, using a large number of images may affect the loading speed of your website. You should take appropriate steps for increasing page loading speed.
One should use images and videos in a balanced manner to increase the credibility and interest in the content shared over a website.
Social Media Sharing
Social media plays a vital role in enhancing the search engine rankings of your website. It is good practice to share with search engines how many times the content of your site is liked and shared by users on social media networking sites. It creates good impression of your website and drive traffic as well.
One should introduce social media share buttons and like icons on Web pages to enhance their popularity and credibility.
There should be no HTML Errors on your site and your site code should pass W3C validation to the possibility. When there are faults in codes, it diminishes credibility of your site and also has bad impact on your rankings. Hence, it is important that you fix any HTML errors in your site on a regular basis to the possibility.
It is significant to make sure your site is HTML error free and passes W3C validation to the maximum possibility.
If your site is down for longer period, it will create bad impression upon your targeted users as well as search engines. In order to maintain site uptime, it is good practice to have a Woorank accounts. Such account will enable you to get email alerts for downtime alerts.
It is recommended to go for a reputed hosting company to ensure almost 100% site uptime.
User friendliness of a website is the foremost factor influencing the ranking of your website. One needs to consider various page elements to enhance the usability of your site:
- Website should be easy to navigate with low bounce rate.
- It should have content relevant to the target search keywords.
- It should have cross browser compatibility to enhance user’s experience.
- It should be a responsive website, so it is user friendly on all devices with small screen sizes such as mobile, tablets, iPhones etc. It should not have pop-ups and splash pages.
It is highly recommended to take all required steps to enhance the user friendliness of the website for web visitors as well as search engines.
Outbound links play a trivial yet significant role in search engine rankings. When you link your site to other sites, it helps in enhancing relevance of your website content. Outbound links are totally under your control, however, you need to use the intelligently to make sure not to overdo it. You should not set impression that your site is craving for rankings by following all the outbound links.
Outbound linking is an effective white hat SEO strategy that allows you to pull more traffic.
In nutshell, On-page optimisation is an effective blend of techniques focused on technical and content optimisation. Technical optimisation focuses on elements such as Meta tag description, URL site navigation, site map, image optimisation etc. On the other hand content strategy is focused on sharing informative and engaging content having minimum or legible keyword density for effective on-page content optimisation.
Latest posts by Alekh Verma (see all)
- 8 Digital Marketing Trends That Will Rule 2018 - December 8, 2017
- 7 Smart Ways to Utilize in Your Local SEO Campaigns - November 15, 2017
- What Digital Marketing Strategies Do Startups Need To Incorporate To Beat The Competition - October 14, 2017