With popular food giants like Postmates, Uber Eats and GrubHub, we can witness that it is essential to deliver today’s tech-savvy generation something more valuable than just money and quality food. According to Business Insider, the mobile food industry is one of the rapidly growing industries in 2020 and expected to be worth more than $38 billion by the end of the year. So if you want to eat a big piece of cake from this market, it’s definitely the right time to jump in.
Running a restaurant doesn’t only involve servicing challenges but also satisfying and retaining each and every customer. Especially, when you’re experiencing consistent shortcomings such as messed up orders, personnel call-outs, delivery issues and so on. This might disappoint the customers and you will gradually start losing your active guests.
To satisfy customers, compete with other giants, enhance delivery speed and retain customer trust, restaurant owners can choose to build their own food delivery mobile application. Here’s a step-by-step process that will give you a clear idea of what it takes to develop a robust app like GrubHub or Uber Eats.
Why the Trend of Food Delivery Apps is Booming?
It’s no more a secret that people tend to go after what’s trustworthy and convenient. This philosophy applies to everything in life from the movies we watch, the music we listen to, the product we buy, and obviously the food we eat. This is certainly one of the most significant factors behind the tremendous growth of food delivery applications like DoorDash and many others.
Also, having a scalable mobile app simplified the operations and life of your workforce. They don’t need to attend calls, write down the orders and double-check everything thoroughly and conveying the message to the entire team. It increases workforce efficiency as no one has to waste time in discussing order details.
According to Nation’s Restaurant News, orders placed through a mobile restaurant ordering system are an average of $4 higher as compared to those placed in restaurants. Thus, mobile app development can independently help you to drive better revenue and success.
What are the Key Elements of a Prosperous Food Delivery App?
One of the arduous things about food delivery app development is that you need to incorporate several aspects into one system to make it work. Here are three major elements that your app should be comprised of:
- An easy sign-up or login functionality for allowing users to create the account using their email ID and third-party platforms like Google.
- The functionality to select a restaurant from the list of vendors available around your area.
- The convenient to quickly and easily place an order from the menu.
- A payment gateway system for processing money transactions from multiple options such as credit/debit cards, PayPal, COD, etc. Customers should be able to make payments and validate promo codes quickly and securely.
- The function to track order status, estimated delivery time and courier location.
- The ability to check previous order history and save restaurants as well as food items for future purposes.
- The option to chat with the restaurant and courier service provider for updates and solving concerns regarding the order.
The Restaurant Side
- A restaurant signup function for enabling food business holders to join the platform. The page should carry all the details about the restaurant such as name, location, working hours, contact number, etc.
- A content management system that allows restaurants to share their menu and add photos on the platform.
- The option to display promotions and offer promo codes to the end-customers.
- An order tracking system that allows restaurants to track incoming and outgoing orders. This way, they would be able to see the exact status of delivery, order cancellation, etc.
- The option to navigate the nearest courier service provider available for delivering orders.
- A cross interface communication system that would enable restaurants to interact with customers and courier service providers easily.
The Courier Side
- A signup option that allows couriers to create an account on the food delivery platform.
- An order management feature so that couriers can book the deliveries in real-time. Such a page should include all the order details such as order size, pick-up/delivery location, customers’ contact information and so on.
- A function to estimate delivery time before picking up the order for offering timely deliveries to customers.
- A cross interface communication system that allows couriers to interact with both customers and restaurants for sending delivery updates and other related concerns.
- An account history page of couriers where they can maintain a track of their experience of delivering to a specific customer.
Undoubtedly, the mobile food delivery business is one of the fastest-growing trends these days and that’s just too worthwhile for any café and restaurant owner to overlook. As the technology and iOS/Android app development trends behind it are continuously developing, the strategic value of apps like Uber Eats, Postmates, GrubHub isn’t going to slow down soon.
If you’re unsure about how to develop and accomplish success in the food industry, then it would be great to discuss your concerns with our professionals to attain suitable business solutions and complete peace of mind.