Due to the enormous profitability of the mobile app market, a rising number of businesses are attempting to establish themselves in it nowadays. The development of your application is merely the first step toward your future success, therefore keep that in mind.
Your software must be carefully tested to eliminate all potential flaws if you want to guarantee the highest level of consumer happiness. We, therefore, make the decision to give you the best-automated testing tools for iOS and Android.
Introduction- The Need for Mobile App Testing
In the twenty-first century, everything is becoming more automated, and testing mobile apps is absolutely no exception. The amount of time needed to run tests and the likelihood of human error while running tests manually are both decreased by well-planned and implemented automated testing.
Many mobile testing tools are accessible on the Internet. Some of them are free to use, while others need to be purchased. The vast majority of testing tools have been available for a while, while others have recently hit the market.
Each tool, however, is distinct and has advantages and disadvantages of its own. We've compiled a list of the top mobile application testing tools in this post to make it easier for you to discover which one developer and QA engineers prefer to use.
How to Excel in the Field of Mobile Application Testing?
Nobody wants to be treated like a Guinea pig, as we’ve previously stated. If your customers discover a flaw, you wouldn't learn about it from them, and they were most likely not going to return. Enterprises and top managers are now thinking about high-performing, effective solutions like Mobile Application Testing Software.
We want to familiarize you with all the background knowledge and tool expertise needed to get you started with test automation for your mobile apps further down in the article. Nonetheless, there are a ton of tools and information available, which can be overwhelming at times. So, let us simplify things for you. But first, we need to be aware of the challenges one can face in the mobile testing field.
Challenges Faced in the Mobile Testing Field
- Many mobile devices with iOS and Android operating systems, including smartphones and tablets, are available and ready for exploration.
- Managing a variety of hardware combinations with RAM, CPU, and OS optimizations presents another difficulty in this situation.
- Managing many OS and their versions.
- Methods for developing mobile apps include native apps, responsive web apps, hybrid apps, and more.
- The requirement for regular app updates.
Why Invest in Mobile Application Testing Tools?
Businesses should push mobile app developers to deliver features more quickly in order to reduce the manual effort needed to perform regression tests and free up testers' time to test new features. App release cycles are slowed considerably by manual testing.
Errors reported following the deployment of the release in contrast to manual testing, solutions for mobile app testing facilitate continuous delivery initiatives so that each commit can be released regularly and reliably. The cost of resolving a problem decreases with the speed of feedback.
QA teams can be creative. You can quickly enhance testing speed and coverage to unprecedented levels by integrating Quality Assurance teams with mobile testing solutions.
Which Parts of the Mobile App Should You Automate First?
Determine which processes could use automation and which particular components should undergo first testing. If done correctly, everything performs admirably while being less exploratory and hacky than a mobile app.
The test's scope must be automated, and the testing priorities that are most urgent must be chosen. This unquestionably covers every essential component that has undergone testing, even manually. Take into account the testing frequency, the business priority, and the elements that can be automated.
So, take a closer look at the functional test cases that:
- Take a lot of time?
- Perhaps condensed and organized into logical steps
- Are essential core flows for the operation of the app?
- Have a history of creating problems
- Demand a significant amount of data for testing
Best Mobile App Testing Tools for iOS and Android
Kobiton is a potent mobile app testing platform that gives businesses control over their own devices and access to actual public cloud devices for effective, thorough test coverage.
Kobiton is highly adaptable, easy to use, and accessible from anywhere, which helps organizations launch apps more quickly while reducing expenses. For additional information and to begin a free trial, go to their website.
- Real devices - Test on a large number of actual devices whenever you need to.
- Manage a complete device lab that includes local on-premises, private cloud, and public cloud devices.
- Scriptless automation - Convert manual test sessions into Appium scripts that can be run on iOS or Android devices to automatically generate test scripts.
- Newest actual, cloud-based equipment and setups.
- Centralized data logs and test history for better collaboration.
- Management of the internal device lab to more efficiently use internal devices
- User experience has been simplified to speed up test sessions.
- Option for on-premises implementation for added security.
- Support for C#, Java, Ruby, NodeJS, PHP, and Python programming languages.
- With a variety of frameworks available, including React Native, Ionic, Electron NativeScript, Xamarin, and Flutter.
- Supports a range of testing techniques, such as automated testing, functional testing, and performance testing.
- Integrates easily with XebiaLabs, CircleCI, Jira, Azure DevOps, TeamCity, Jenkins, Travis CI, and more.
- Offers record-and-replay, cross-browser compatibility, no-code automation, and testing on actual devices.
- Provides capabilities, performance, a customizable test cloud, rich test logs, an agile test enabler, and efficiency that is optimized.
- It offers email, chat, and contact form customer help.
Plans begin at $75 per month.
TestGrid is ideal for API testing, performance testing, cross-browser testing, scriptless automation, native mobile app testing, and more. There has never been a simpler way to test your mobile application. Users may test their mobile applications on actual devices hosted in the cloud or on your premises using TestGrid in the simplest possible way.
Now involve your testing and business teams in creating and carrying out test cases without any prior programming experience.
Using TestGrid, customers may reuse practically all of the tests on various versions of the app and on other apps as well, eliminating the need to write new test cases. The newest tech stack is used in the construction of TestGrid, enabling users to run their tests faster and scriptless than with any competing product.
- Scriptless mobile app automation testing that produces XCUITest Code and Appium for download.
- No-code automation powered by AI.
- To help you optimize and improve your app, conduct performance testing.
- Use already written test cases on different apps.
- For quicker test execution and product launch, run parallel tests.
- Both on-premises and in the cloud are options.
- Support for programming languages including PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, C#, Java, and C#.
- Provides a variety of frameworks, including NodeJS and React Native.
- Supports a variety of testing types, including API, performance, automation, security, and more.
- Integrates easily with a variety of tools, including MS TFS, JIRA, TestRail, CircleCI, GitLab, Travis, Jenkins, and more.
- Provides real device testing, record-and-replay, cross-browser functionality, and no-code automation.
- Provides API test automation, robotic test automation, IoT test automation, test case management suites, test data management suites, and cloud infrastructure.
- It offers email, a contact form, and live chat for customer service.
Prices begin at $29 per month. Discount of 16% for yearly payment.
Appium is a cross-platform, open-source tool for mobile testing that works with both iOS and Android devices starting with version 2.3. Like Selenium Server, Appium functions as a background server.
Several programming languages, including those found in the WebDriver library including Java, Ruby, C#, and others, are supported by this mobile automation testing solution. Using the WebDriver interface, Appium performs tests.
Appium uses the UIAutomator library, which Google provides as a component of the Android SDK, to automate Android. Chrome and Safari can be controlled on mobile devices. It is synchronized with the testing framework TestNG. In this case, UI Automator is capable of producing in-depth, intelligent reports comparable to those generated by Ranorex.
- You don't need to change or recompile your app in any manner because all platforms use standard mobile automation APIs.
- Any testing framework is acceptable.
- On a separate platform, the setup is simple.
- Mobile automation testing Appium supports a wide range of languages, including Python, Ruby, Java, PHP, and Node.
- Nothing needs to be installed on the device for it to work.
- The Selenium WebDriver JSON wire protocol is still available.
- On a change platform, you don't need to recompile your mobile application.
- It may be combined with other programs thanks to Java.
- Seamlessly interacts with Jenkins and BrowserStack.
- Supports a variety of testing types, including security testing, performance testing, and API testing.
- Offers record-and-replay, cross-browser compatibility, no-code automation, and testing on actual devices.
- Using the Discussion Group, Appium Chat, and GitHub Issues, it offers client support.
Price: Open-Source and free
4. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is regarded as an all-in-one automated testing solution and is trusted by over 850,000 users. The Selenium and Appium frameworks are inherited from Katalon Studio's mobile testing features, which are simplified to meet the needs of testers of all skill levels.
The natural learning curve is reduced with the aid of this instrument. Test automation for desktop, mobile, online, and API applications is all supported by Katalon Studio.
- There is no need for a sophisticated setup or programming knowledge.
- Almost all of Appium's testing features are supported by Katalon.
- Katalon requires less effort and has fewer criteria for script creation. Built-in frameworks and keyword libraries are provided by the tool and can be used immediately.
- Powerful integration possibilities with external tools and mobile platforms (Lambda Test, Sauces Lab, etc.) (Git, Jenkins, Jira, etc.)
- Mobile Recorder, which creates test scripts from recorded actions, and Mobile Object Spy mode, which populates the object repository, are additional tools to speed up the automation process.
- It features a thorough and regularly updated resources portal with documentation, instructions, and tutorials.
- Katalon Studio is an appropriate starting point for people who are new to automation testing, especially mobile testing. There are both free and paid versions of Katalon Studio.
Price: Free trial. $759 annually subscription.
With the sophisticated Eggplant mobile app testing tool, users can efficiently test their mobile apps. By providing attributes like object recognition, scriptless testing, real-time results, and support for various platforms.
Users may easily maximize the value of their testing with the help of the Eggplant mobile application testing tool. Users can pick the license that best meets their needs thanks to flexible licensing choices.
This is a commercial automation platform for web, desktop, and mobile apps that were formerly known as TestPlant. Due to the vast range of testing platforms, it supports, including Android, iOS, BlackBerry, the legacy Windows Phone, and Symbian, its mobile testing solution is well regarded.
- Tests are more user-friendly and easier to manage thanks to scriptless testing.
- Eggplant uses artificial intelligence (AI) to guarantee test continuity when performing remote work on the cloud.
- Scalable web presence achieved through efficient load testing.
- In order to upgrade and transition to the cloud for remote work, test business apps.
- By validating its output, the eggplant API testing service ensures that the back-end processes of your website match the output displayed on the front end.
- On the client or service side, Eggplant makes sure that your software, website, and digital services function on all browsers, operating systems, and gadgets.
- Using Eggplant's model-based testing, you can forecast how an application will perform under diverse circumstances, enabling more dependable and accurate testing.
- Eggplant enables you to interface your code with CI/CD technologies to generate test cases, scripts, and code snippets.
Price: For a quote, get in touch with the Eggplant team.
The paid automation UI testing solution TestComplete from SmartBear uses AI. The testing tool offers test solutions for various applications kinds, including mobile testing.
Users of TestComplete can conduct tests on both native and hybrid mobile apps. It can carry out testing on virtual machines, real devices, or emulators.
- Non-technical testers can use the tool with ease because low-code and no-code modes are provided.
- Moreover, TestComplete supports manual script generation using the Code Editor.
- Provides a record-and-replay method so that tests can be created without the need for programming.
- You can build keyword-driven tests with it.
- Both keyword-driven test scripts and recorded GUI tests can be converted into the supported scripting languages by the program.
- A mobile QA team with less technical expertise should use TestComplete. With the ability to manually generate scripts, the tool also meets the needs of advanced testing.
- It offers assistance for testing on different mobile operating systems.
- Integration that is seamless with CI/CD tools like Jenkins, Git, and Jira.
Price: Free trial for 30 days.
Two distinct plans are provided by TestComplete. Costs for the TestComplete Base (fixed plan), TestComplete Pro (fixed plan), and TestComplete Base (floating plan) are $1,665, $2,540, and $3,695, respectively.
7. Ranorex Studio
An automation tool for testing purposes is called Ranorex Studio. With its low-code interface and helpful wizards, it is another mobile testing solution that made it simple for newbies. Ranorex Studio's most recent release is 9.3.
- Identify elements in your application using Ranorex Spy, identify them with RanoreXPath (even those with dynamic IDs), and maintain them in the object repository.
- It supports every kind of application, including HTML5 online apps, native iOS and Android apps, and desktop programs created in C#, Java, or Delphi.
- Allows you to test your native Android, iOS, and cross-platform programs by recording and running automated tests on actual mobile devices or emulators.
- Without jailbreaking the smartphones, conduct testing.
- Enables remote testing - Run remote desktop tests simultaneously in various scenarios.
- Uses Selenium Grids to enable cross-platform testing across many operating systems and browsers.
- Supports mobile phones running iOS and Android.
- Supports testing that is both data- and keyword-driven.
- Advanced code completion, refactoring, and debugging tools.
- With native and cross-browser testing and test reuse across testing platforms and systems, the tool improves test efficiency.
- WPF and WinForms support when using. Net Core 3.0.
- Data-driven testing that is precise and easy to understand.
Mobile testers with minimal to no coding experience can use Ranorex Studio.
Price: 30-day trial. Three alternative licenses are available from Ranorex Studio: Studio, Enterprise, and Runtime. For a price estimate, get in touch with the Ranorex Studio crew.
Perfecto was acknowledged as a standout performer by Forrester Wave in the Continuous Functional Test Automation Suites. For testing mobile apps, it is among the top testing clouds available. This testing platform is cloud-native and supports both web and mobile testing. Perfecto is well-known for its collaboration features when it comes to mobile testing because it includes a screen-sharing option.
- Perfecto offers alternatives for extensive remote testing as well as a real user simulator.
- With its in-depth study of test failures, users can acquire profound insights. Images, films, crash logs, vitals, and other detailed artifacts can all be found.
- Supports scripted and scriptless languages.
- Testing in parallel using actual and virtual devices and browsers.
- For all major frameworks, such as Appium, Selenium, Cypress, Espresso, XCUITest KIF, Quantum, Robot Framework, etc., it gives unparalleled versatility.
- The tool integrates with a variety of testing platforms and frameworks.
- Seamless CI/CD tool integration
- Offers scalability and security at a corporate level.
Price: 14-day trial. For prices on the Scriptless and Enterprise plans, get in touch with the Perfecto team. The live plan costs $83/month, while the automate plan is $125/month.
9. Bug Hunter
In the field of mobile testing apps, Bug Hunter is a relatively recent competitor. The software, which will be available in October 2020, includes all the best features of comparable tools while also taking into account some of the most prevalent flaws, such as a lack of functions or an abundance of capabilities and a difficult switch between those features.
Android app UI testing is made simple, accurate, and quick with the help of Bug Hunter. As a result, the entire development cycle can be sped up. It can also be utilized by Android developers, who can quickly test the app on their own and make essential adjustments before the QA process even begins.
Because it has features for choosing and testing colors, previewing mockups, and assuring pixel-perfect design, Bug Hunter is also a useful tool for UI/UX designers.
- Device Details: Get device details with just two clicks, or turn on automatic device details addition for all screenshots.
- Rulers & Guides: To check the alignment of UI components, draw an unlimited number of horizontal and vertical lines from the rulers. You may also change the opacity and color of the guides to your preference.
- Using a grid, precisely measure the sizes of UI elements and the space between them; Choose a practical grid size, then quickly tap or move the grid cells' color and opacity.
- Mockups: Place the UI of the app above the design mockup to check that the layout adheres to the specifications in pixel-perfect detail; To see how a new design would seem on a real device, preview it on a screen.
- Drag the magnifier to the desired location to quickly get the color code of any UI element. Tap the color code to copy it to the clipboard in HEX and RGBA formats. Color Picker - check to see whether the app's colors fit the specifications.
- Create high-quality screenshots and longshots without any manual editing and quickly and simply share them with peers with Screenshot & Longshot.
- When shooting a video to demonstrate how to reproduce a bug, pause it if you get sidetracked and resume it when your attention is back on the task at hand.
- Smart Toolbar: Access all the functions and settings from a compact, moveable toolbar; position it anywhere on the screen (horizontally or vertically), and only enable the options you use frequently.
Selendroid is a framework for test automation that runs on native, hybrid, and mobile web apps for Android. It can be used with the Selenium Grid for scalable and parallel testing, and it can be used on both emulators and actual devices.
It suggests utilizing iOS-driver to test iOS native, hybrid, or mobile web applications.
- It can communicate with several Android devices and emulators at once.
- The test app doesn't need to be changed in order for it to be automated.
- It is entirely compatible with Selenium 3 Ready and the JSON Wire Protocol.
- Hardware device hot plugging is recognized and supported.
- Several locator types can locate UI elements.
- The same idea holds true for automated native or hybrid apps.
- Supports most Android versions as well as web driver-compatible languages like Java and C#.
- It works with Windows, Linux, and Mac systems.
Pricing: Free (Open-source)
Mobot is a mobile quality assurance solution that assesses native mobile web apps on actual iOS/Android devices using controlled, mechanized robots.
Mobot's mechanical robots make it feasible to automate mobile app testing, which is sometimes not doable using emulators, virtual devices, and framework methods.
It tests mobile applications automatically. Without using any scripts, it crawls an app and starts testing it automatically by traversing through all of the potential UI elements.
- There is a free trial available.
- On 100% actual, physical Android and iOS devices, it employs mechanical robots for testing.
- No more creating test cases for your code or updating it each time an app version is published
- Enables you to test 200+ actual, physical mobile devices (iOS/Android) with your native and cross-platform mobile apps.
- It allows concurrent testing as well as functional, visual, and audio testing.
- It combines easily with TestRail, Slack, and Jira.
- It taps, swipes, and switches between two phones, several apps, and outside gadgets.
Mobot is priced at $1,799/month for 2500 test actions (taps, swipes, clicks, etc.), payable yearly.
Anyone can create dependable, automated mobile tests thanks to the Waldo no-code automation testing platform. By taking the same activities as usual, it enables you to record tests in your browser.
Every time you create a new build, it runs the same tests you previously recorded on a range of software and hardware models and tells you of any problems, crashes, or UI issues that arise to expedite the QA testing processes.
- This script-free platform incorporates continuous end-to-end mobile testing into the process of creating mobile apps.
- Both Android and iOS are compatible.
- It integrates perfectly with programs like GitHub, Slack, Jenkins, Travis, Circle CI, etc.
For the price, get in touch with Waldo.
With the use of AI-based insights, HeadSpin enables the testing and monitoring of mobile, web, and audio/video applications across thousands of devices worldwide.
With HeadSpin, even companies can now obtain practical, useful user-experience insights that will undoubtedly enhance mobile performance. The tool consistently succeeds in providing in-depth visibility into performance and user experience concerns, even in the complicated mobile ecosystem.
- Together with mobile app testing, it provides cross-browser testing, performance optimization, experience monitoring, testing of Android and iOS apps, Appium mobile test automation, testing of Smart TVs, and testing of biometrics.
- Both iOS and Android devices are supported.
- Provides screenshots and device logs.
- Assistance with native Selenium and Appium.
- Places more than 100+ on-premium throughout the world.
- The application allows you to test on as many iOS or Android devices at once without experiencing any lag.
- Includes integration with Selenium, Appium, and other automated testing frameworks.
- It integrates with third-party tools like Charles Proxy, Xcode, Android Studio, Flutter, Cucumber, Espresso Android, FitNesse, KIF, UI Automator, Junit, XCTest, Calabash, Unified Functional Testing, TestNG, Earlgrey, Puppeteer, Playwright, Jira, Slack, and Jenkins. It also supports WebPage Test, Experitest, WebPage Test, FitNesse, and UI Automator
Price: Free trial is offered. Request pricing from Headspin.
An AI-driven automation tool for mobile testing of Android and iOS is called testRigor. You may use simple English commands to test iOS and Android apps. Any complexity level of end-to-end tests, including those for mobile, web, and API stages, may be designed and executed.
Instead of relying on implementation-specifics like XPaths or CSS Selectors, test steps are stated at the end-user level.
- There are English test cases.
- Users and tests are limitless.
- The simplest method for learning automation
- Keep track of web steps
- Testing of emails & SMS
- One test for web, mobile, and API steps
- Supports the programming languages C#, PHP, Ruby, Java, and Python.
- Provides a variety of frameworks, including Angular, React, React Native, Android, iOS, and Flutter.
- Supports testing of APIs, audio, functionality, security, and other things.
- Easily connects with a variety of tools, including TestRail, Zephyr, Xray, Jira, Azure DevOps, Jenkins, CircleCI, and more
- Offers cross-browser compatibility, no-code automation, and record-and-replay functionality.
- Provides mocking of API calls, access to DBs, support for 2FA login, checking the downloaded files, creating original test data, testing on many devices and browsers, and creating reusable rules.
- It offers customer service using a Contact Form.
Plan prices begin at $900 per month.
Calabash is a free app testing tool for iOS and Android. You can use it to create and run automated acceptance tests for mobile applications. Cucumber, a well-liked open-source testing framework for online applications, forms the foundation of Calabash. The Calabash API is used to write Calabash tests in Ruby.
Tests can be written in domain-specific languages with the aid of the Calabash Android and Calabash iOS libraries. You are able to call Android applications from test code by using the libraries in Calabash. Each of these encounters is made up of various end-user behaviors, including gestures, claims, and screenshots. The test can be written in plain, simple language that is simpler for business experts and non-technical QA professionals to understand.
- This mobile app testing program offers APIs tailored specifically for native programs that operate on touchscreen gadgets.
- It consists of libraries that let test-code interface with native and hybrid apps programmatically.
- It supports the framework Cucumber, making it simpler for business professionals and non-technical QA workers to grasp.
- Programming languages like Ruby and Java are supported.
- Provides several frameworks, such as Xamarin and React Native
- Supports both automated and functional testing
- Integrates seamlessly with Jira
- Provides actual devices testing, record-and-replay,
Price: Open-source Tool
The process of creating an app requires testing. It assists in producing top-notch code that satisfies all requirements and performs flawlessly. You can test and enhance your apps by using the tools mentioned above.
There are numerous tools for mobile testing. While some of them are costly, others are free. While some of these automation solutions are rather old, others have only recently entered the market. Each tool is distinct and has certain qualities.
It might be challenging to choose the ideal automation tool for a project because there are so many options available, and testers frequently use solutions that don't meet project needs. So, picking the appropriate technology for your job is crucial.